Thursday, June 03, 2004

Just who am I, anyway?

For those of you who don't know who I am, I thought I'd post a little primer about me.

I'm a stay-at-home dad. I didn't start out that way. I was a computer geek in the Silly-con Valley for 14 years, fresh out of a Math/Computer Science degree at Pepperdine. My job went bye-bye in 2001, as so many others did. My wife stepped in to pick up her Pharmacy career, and I've been "Mr. Mom" since. I'm not exactly the domestic type, but according to my kids, I make the best macaroni and cheese in the world!

I'm an occasional computer consultant. Every now and then, I get out of the house to go fix someone else's computers, instead of staying home to break my own. I'm trying to build up a clientele, and eventually, this may turn into a real job. Who knows?

I'm a music nut. When I was growing up, my dad played classical music all the time, and also showed a fondness for folk music. My mom went through a country music phase when I was young, and I still bear the scars. Those things have affected my musical tastes through my life. My music collection includes rock (if it's got good musical sensibilities), classical, folk, vocal, a cappella, musicals, jazz, a few country albums (mostly Chet Atkins), southern gospel, contemporary Christian, and worship music. I also have a lot of novelty music, and am an unabashed "Weird Al" Yankovic fan!

I'm a Christ-follower. Despite my failings, and despite the hypocrisy that my life sometimes shows, I love the Lord. I want to act like the kind of person that God wants me to be, so that people know that He is a loving God, He's a great God who deserves to be worshipped, and He calls everyone to get close to Him.

I'm a church-going Christian. Despite the fact that organized religion spends entirely too much time propogating itself instead of serving the world as Jesus would, I love the church that I attend. There are lots of good folks there who also love God, and are giving their lives in service to Him.

I'm a worship leader. I've done a fair amount of singing in my life, and nothing is quite so fulfilling as singing to lead worship. I think worship is why God gave me the ability to sing well, and I'm glad to be in a church where I can use that gift nearly every Sunday.

Is that all I am? Probably not, but that's all I can think of to write about today. to sum it up, though, allow me to borrow a line from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy..."

I'm just this guy, you know.

No comments: