Thursday, June 10, 2004

On being 40 years old

Today is my 40th birthday. In some respects, that's hard to grasp. I look back on my life, and it doesn't seem that long. But then again, I guess it feels exactly that long, because that's how long it's been. I pretty much live each day as it comes (which is a polite way of saying that I'm a lousy planner), so I don't spend a lot of time mulling over the events of my life.

I've actually got a pretty poor memory for events and conversations in my life, but a decent memory of facts and concepts that I've learned. In a way, my life seems like a blur of images, impressions, and ideas, puncutated by a few clear memories. Most of the clear memories are negative, like embarassments and foolish things I've done. I wish I could clear those off the shelves in my mind and replace them with more positive, fun things.

There are some really great things that I do remember clearly, though.

  • My first glimpse of my wife, Nina, walking down the aisle on our wedding day.
  • Meeting Nina for the first time, several years before we started dating.
  • The moments our children were born.
  • My interviews for my first I.T. position (really, great, fun conversations with the supervisors in the department, Linda Waldon and Cindy Sun.
  • Learning to lead singing at age 9, from T.J. Jones and my dad, at the Dublin Church of Christ.
  • Touring the home we would soon buy in 1996.
  • My first Promise Keepers, in Anaheim, 1994 (a great road trip with my best friend, John Haffner; also had my first In-n-Out Burger meal on that trip!)
  • The first devotional on the beach back at school, in fall of 1984; the water was warm, the moon was bright, and afterward, three cars full of us took off for a late-night run to Tommy's in Sepulveda.
  • The note that Dr. Tom Olbricht wrote on a paper I had written for his Biblical Theology class in the Pepperdine extension program I did in '91-'92; it said, "Good, clear writing style." Coming from him, that was a real compliment!
  • The surprise 30th birthday party Nina threw for me ten years ago, with more friends there than I realized I had!
  • Waking up on my 40th birthday (okay, it was only this morning, but I'll take the memories I can get!)
  • My granddad, Bud Watson, trying to bounce our son, John, on his knee just a month or so before he passed away. It was difficult for him, since he had been fighting with Parkinson's Disease for nearly ten years at the time. He never let it stop him from trying.
  • My first time playing 18 holes of golf, again with Granddad Watson. I hit a 103. I've never played that well since!
  • ...and many, many more....

My 40 years have been filled with blessings. Not everything has gone the way I'd have liked, but it is impossible to look at my life without recognizing that God has been with me, and has given me much to be thankful for... and much with which to bless others.

I found this on Mark Lowry's website this morning. Audrey Hepburn was once asked to share her beauty tips, and she wrote this in response:
• For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
• For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
• For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
• For beautiful hair, let a child run his/her fingers through it once a day.
• For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
• People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; never throw out anyone.
• Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, you will find one at the end of each of your arms. As you grow older, you will discover that you have two hands; one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.

I wish I could write like that!

2 comments:

Brandon Scott Thomas said...

Happy birthday, old man!! Sheryl sends happy birthday greetings too--even if you did recently dog her on Worship forum. :)

Tim Castle said...

I didn't do it! I'm innocent! Blame somebody else! I WAS FRAMED!!!

Nina was just stating her preferences about the sound on the various recordings. I don't care to compare the sound, but no recording can compare to being in the room with you guys when you really let it go in leading worship! And I can't come up with any word but "annointed" to describe how Shery uses her gift in song!

Thanks for the note! I love you guys!