Sunday, June 06, 2004

Just a thought...

Does it occur to anyone else that when Jesus stood up in the boat and said, "Peace... Be still," he was probably speaking just as much to the agitated disciples in the boat as to the agitated wind and water outside the boat? They were in what looked like a dire situation, true; the water was filling up the boat, and they thought they'd drown, and all the while, Jesus was sleeping. (One wonders how Jesus slept in that kind of storm, but that's beside the point -- or is it?) Jesus woke up and took care of the storm. You'd think that would calm the disciples down, too, but according to Mark, they were now agitated, wondering just who Jesus really was, since he seemed to have control over the elements.

Eventually, they got it, and knew that Jesus was not only the one who could calm the storm, but the one who moves the elements to whip up storms in the first place. His power went far beyond that storm, and far beyond their fears. One wonders, though, what would have happened if they'd understood, and rode out the storm calmly, knowing that they were safe, because Jesus was in the boat with them.

Now if I could only get that through my head, I'd have something. Jesus not only has the power and authority to calm down the messes I find myself in, he has the power and authority to make me ride out the storm, even when it looks like I'm about to go down. After all, he promised he'd be with me.

1 comment:

Clarissa said...

Makes me think of a song I reember from a few years back, though I don't remember who recorded it -- "Sometimes he calms the storm, and other times he calms the child."
I think you're right on.