Sunday, August 27, 2006

A new favorite

I will admit to being a man who is quite comfortable with the familiar. Some things don’t change: The Dodgers are favorite baseball team (though I pay very little attention to baseball at all), Chicago is my favorite band (closely followed by Level 42 and Toto), and Dr. Pepper is my favorite soft drink.

But in other respects, I have somewhat meteoric tastes. I can switch favorites in other areas pretty quickly. Favorite TV show? Lost... no, wait, Stargate SG-1... or maybe reruns of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Favorite item on the Chevy’s menu? Shrimp fajitas, unless the fish tacos look good, or maybe I’ll go for the spicy flautas. Favorite beer? What micro- or craft brew is on sale?

Right now, my favorite a cappella jazz group is Groove Society. I just discovered them via A Cappella Always, my current favorite Live365 internet radio station. Their “Tribute to Earth Wind & Fire” blew me away, and I just had to track them down. Fortunately, their first album (self-titled) is available via iTunes, my preferred way of finding new music. Great voices, great harmonies, great arrangements.... few groups get as good as this.

My apologies to Blue Line Max... you have just been unseated, though your Christmas album will always have a treasured place in my library. And, of course, you will always be my favorite a cappella jazz group, half of whose members I have met, which is based in Portland, and which has recorded “There Was a Star.”

Compartmentalizing keeps the favorites from fighting.

1 comment:

Ike Graul said...

Hey, at least we went out on top. I listened to Groove Society; they are very nice (cross between Manhattan Transfer and Cadence.)

I bet that BLM might have had a chance at winning you back had we ever been able to record a non-seasonal album, we had some rockin' arrangements (yeah, I know, easy claim to make at this point...) thanks for the heads up, I'll definitely be adding GS to our catalog.