Thursday, August 17, 2006

Happy Anniversary!


On August 17, 1991, I had the good sense to marry Miss Nina J. Oliver. (Questions about her sense in the matter will not be discussed.) In the ensuing 15 years, there have been a lot of ups and downs, as with every good marriage. We have made good and bad decisions, we have been respectful and disrespectful of each other. We have laughed together, cried together, and sometimes cried, each of us alone. We have both grown up quite a bit, and have just begun to see now how much growing we still have to do.

She has blessed me with her wisdom and intelligence, and I have blessed her with my concern and compassion. She has taught me to think more clearly, and I have helped her take time to stop thinking every now and then. Our strengths cover each others' weaknesses, and our gifts meet each others' needs.

I am learning more every day to hear her heart when she speaks, and to speak to her in a way that she will hear my heart.

I am not proud of everything I have done as a husband. I am, however, proud to say that I am her husband. She has endured my faults, and encouraged my strengths. I am a better man for having let her into my life. I pray that she is a better woman for having let me into hers.

Happy Anniversary, Nina. I love you beyond words.

(Note: Yes, that picture above IS us. She is still as beautiful as the day we got married. I am still as dashing and handsome as I ever was. Which, of course, is open to interpretation!)

4 comments:

John Haffner said...

Hey! I was there!

May you have many, many more years to love, support, encourage and sharpen one another!

Your brother,

John

Tim Castle said...

You were there? Funny, it all kinda blanks out except for seeing her come down the aisle...

Clarissa said...

Like the new hairdo better.

:-)

Owen B. said...

Mazeltov!