Saturday, April 15, 2006

An update about MacJournal

I mentioned just over a month ago that I’d be trying out MacJournal to edit and manage my blog entries. It was a bit frustrating, as the thing didn’t always upload my entries to blogger.com and publish them correctly.

This afternoon I launched it again, and it notified me that an update was now available, so I downloaded it and tried it out. It seems to be behaving itself much better now. I’m a much happier individual.

The actual interface itself, if you were just using it as a personal journal, is very good, with a list of the entries in your journal, and a calendar showing what dates you write entries on. You can save out any journal entries to RTF, PDF, Word, web pages, plain text, and a couple of iPod-happy formats.

There is also this “full screen” mode, which gives you green text on a black screen (or your own customized color scheme), with nothing else on your Mac showing up. I guess that’s for those of us who are easily distracted by other windows on our screen, like those for any work we’re supposed to be doing. For me, it’s not really compelling, but it’s kinda cool.

I don’t know which feature I like better: being able to write while offline and post later, or being able to see all of my entries contained in a program on my computer, rather than having to go into the archive links on blogger.com. Being able to download all of my existing entries in my blog (or any new ones I make outside of MacJournal) is an extremely handy feature. It’s definitely a better writing tool than the web interface, and much cleaner than writing in Word or TextEdit, then copying it to blogger.com.

I’m establishing my ratings scale here, in terms of hot peppers:
• Bell peppers - not so hot; skip it
• Pepperoncini - mild; worth having sometimes
• Jalapeño - hot; good for anything you’re doing
• Habañero - smokin’; so good it hurts

So I’m calling the current beta (4.0.b4.1) “jalapeño” for now. If the release version maintains its quality, I might even upgrade it to “jalapeño-and-a-half” status!

No comments: