Saturday, April 15, 2006

After a trip to Arizona

My family and I took off for Arizona last Monday, since the kids were out of school for Spring Break. We flew to Phoenix, drove to Sedona, and visited the Grand Canyon. It was a fun trip, though a bit too short to really relax enough to call it a vacation.

A few thoughts:

• Arizona drivers like their speed limits low, and like to observe them. It was a bit of a shock to this California driver’s system.
• We rented a GPS navigation unit with the car. Why haven’t I already gotten one of these things? It was way fun. I didn’t need it, as I’m really good with maps and planning out routes already, but how much more fun to program in a location and let the little box give me directions! If I’d been able to connect it with my laptop, it would have been even more fun, but I guess I’ll have to buy my own for that.
• On the drive from Phoenix to Sedona, we stopped by the Montezuma Castle National Monument. My son was really excited, because he’s been studying a lot about Native Americans in school, and the Sinagua of Arizona were new for him.
• Sedona itself reminds me a little of Malibu; touristy, but enough “local gathering places” in the middle of the tourist areas to make it seem less so. Of course, I’ll take the beach over the red rocks anyday.
• The Grand Canyon -- wow. That’s one big hole in the ground. I’ve seen pictures so many times, but a picture really cannot do justice to the size of the place. It’d be fun to have a week or so to see all the places around the rim, and get a chance to hike down in. We had an afternoon to gawk and take pictures, but it was still memorable.
• Why in the heck do overpriced lodging establishments charge so stinking much for wireless internet access while you’re there? The installation and maintenance costs of the connections are so small, there’s no justifiable reason to charge just for that. In fact, adding on the software to manage the pay-to-surf connection only adds to the cost of the system, and adds to the cost of running it. Save some money, folks -- make it free! And if you’re not going to make it free, at least make it possible to use dialup from the rooms!
• The Phoenix airport has consolidated all of their rental car operations into a terminal a couple of miles from the airport. This, I suppose, makes it a little less crowded at the airport, but other than that, I can’t see much of an advantage for the traveler. We had to find the shuttle, ride 10 minutes, then walk into the rental terminal (big enough to be an airport in itself!), and wait in line 45 minutes at the Alamo desk. It was less than welcoming.

The high point of the trip for the kids was the swimming pool at the condo where we were staying. They’d have stayed anywhere there was a pool. The high point for me was the Grand Canyon. A very close second is that we got to make three visits to Cracker Barrel while we were traveling. I’m a fried okra an turnip green addict, and I’m not ashamed to admit it!

3 comments:

Karen said...

Sounds like a fun trip; I've never been to that part of the country before, but hopefully we'll make it there eventually.

I have a built-in GPS navigation system in my Honda van and LOVE it! It was a great help for us when we moved out here to CA from Nebraska. I do need to buy the new DVD for it, though. Lots of places aren't on this one.

Dan Dalzell said...

Sounds like a fun, if short, trip! We've made stops in Arizona on a couple of trips out to CA since coming down to Texas. The Grand Canyon always inspires and impresses!!!

C D said...

grrrrrrrrrrrrr.... I drive to Phoenix at least twice a month, and in April I was up there almost every weekend. Mom lives in Cave Creek...

An email....?! Hrumph. See if I call you next time I'm in the bay area...

Oh, and in Phoenix, it isn't a speed limit, it is a speed suggestion ~ :-)

And we have a GPS that we can move from car to car ~ and it has been abso-bloomin-lovely!! I still do yahoo maps because it has been known to take me to the wrong house, but overall it is a great thing!