Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Sand, surf, sun, and thrills.

Yesterday I took my kids to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, along with some other folks from church. We played on the beach for a couple of hours, then got cleaned up to play on the Boardwalk. Here are a few images from the day:

- Natalie covered in wet sand over most of her body, with a biiiiiig smile on her face!
- John with a rifle from the shooting gallery... scary, very scary.
- Natalie bubbling with excitement for our first ride of the day.
- John and his buddy, Seth, laughing together.
- Natalie driving the "Space Race" bumper car -- very well, I might add!
- John laughing evilly as he crashed his bumper car into me multiple times. (He learned it from me, of course!)
- Natalie dragging me to the front car on the "Sea Dragon" roller coaster.
- John on every spinning, whirling, round-in-a-circle ride on the Boardwalk. Makes me dizzy thinking about it!
- Natalie snuggling up to me as we rode the ferris wheel together.
- John with chili on his face after a really gooey chili dog.
- Natalie with cotton candy all over her fingers and face.
- My buddy, Woody Square, ducking his head and closing his eyes as he and I rode the Giant Dipper roller coaster. I was whooping and hollering with my hands in the air, and he was trying to duck and cover!

My favorite moment of the day: While Natalie was eating her cotton candy, there was an adorable little girl -- maybe a year old -- staring longingly. She was so cute! She was looking up at this big (to her) girl with a big bag of cotton candy, watching with her mouth watering, licking her lips, just mesmerized by it. As her mother called her to move on with the rest of their family, the little darling sighed a great sigh, and walked away, still looking at Natalie.

Summer is winding down. School starts on Monday, and being on a routine will be good for the kids, and probably for me. But the sunny days of cotton candy and funnel cakes, birthday parties, trips to the Zoo, beach play in San Diego and Santa Cruz, rides at the Boardwalk and Marine World, and the four of us hanging out in the backyard, will all be a big part of the glue that holds our family close together.

I am blessed.

1 comment:

John Haffner said...

Hey! Where are you? I've been lurking, and not seen any postings. Not that I've written anything since last week, either...