Friday, July 02, 2004

Funerals

This weekend, we'll be singing at the funeral of a gentleman who's been at our church for years. He was a very thoughtful man, and great encourager to the praise team. He never liked using anything but the King James bible, but he never insisted others do the same.

I'm always a bit torn when singing at funerals. Part of me wants to sing sedate, hopeful songs, to respect the feelings of the family. Another part of me wants to sing enthusiastic, victorious songs, to celebrate that one of our brothers or sisters has completed their race! At the request of the widow, though, we'll be singing some of these upbeat songs, including one in which we use vocal percussion. It will be a good thing, I think.

Oh, yes... she also requested that we sing "The Lord's Prayer," the arrangement that gave me all the nerves last week. Sheesh... can't a guy get a break?!!!

1 comment:

Val said...

One odd thing I have found is that as I have gotten older the number times I sing for a funeral has passed the number of times I sing for weddings. I know it is for obvious reasons, but part of it is also the fact that I have worked some with the 39ers at Highland. It's odd when these sweet seniors wink at you and ask you to promise to sing at their funerals. I cannot really say I would be glad to, I guess. That might sound bad. Nevertheless, it is an honor to be part of a tribute to blessed lives and I am so often encouraged greatly by witnessing them.

I don't know if you will remember, but I was in your discussion group at the Zoe conference in N'ville. I hope things are well with you.