Saturday, July 03, 2004

Forming manageable addictions

It seems to be the nature of humanity, I think, to become addicted to something. For some, it's mind-altering substances, for others, it's mind-numbing acctivities (e.g. soap operas or video games), and for others, it's fashion and style. For me, it's caffeine. And the Internet. And science fiction. And music. And Hawaiian shirts.

I think it's the job of every parent to help their children avoid addictions that are harmful. Teach them the dangers of drugs and bad sitcoms. Show them how to be reliant on God, not on other people's opinions of what's trendy or cool or "phat." Get them hooked on good stuff, like good music (classical, '80s stadium rock, and bluegrass, for example), good science fiction (the Star Trek franchise shows, Star Wars, and Stargate SG-1), and veggies (if I have to tell you which ones of these, you need to visit the produce section of your local grocer and ask for samples).

Addict 'em to something that won't kill 'em or rot their brains.

In that interest, I'd like to propose to all those who run coffee establishments the following: The Training Mocha (TM) series. It starts with a kid's hot chocolate with a half-shot of decaf coffee, then graduates up by adding incremental amounts of caffeinated coffee. By the time they're in high school, they're up to full strength.

I'm just doing my part to help make the world a better place. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Clarissa said...

Alright, Tim, time for a new blog ...

Tim Castle said...

I know, I know... just gotta have time to sit and write for a while. I've been drawing a blank just about every time I sit down in front of the computer. Rats.