Monday, March 13, 2006

Trying a new blog tool


I’m checking out the beta version of MacJournal 4, a journal application that supports posting to blogs. I’ve been looking at it for a while, since MacWorld Expo, because this new version not only lets you post, but will also download all the existing entries from a blogger.com blog and let you keep them on your system. That’ll be useful if I ever decide to move off of blogger to some other tool.

I recently came across mention of WordPress, and have been impressed with its feature set. For the hardcore blogger who wants to blog with lots of multimedia, it’s looks like a good tool. And I found out that the hosting service I use for my own website has it available as a plug-in to an existing site. I may do that at some point, even though I don’t think I’ll get to doing multimedia stuff.

Why not, you ask? Why wouldn’t a dyed-in-the-wool technology addict like me want to add podcasting, video blogging, or at least photocasting to my site? Well, frankly, I’m just more comfortable working only in words. Besides that, I’ve got a great face for radio, and a great voice for silent movies. When I started my blog, started out by admitting that, “...the only reason a person blogs is because their ego succumbs to peer pressure.” If I decided that people wanted to see my mug and/or hear my voice, I think even my ego would laugh itself to death.

Anyway, this is my first post using MacJournal. I’m hoping it will make it just that much easier to write, so I’ll post more. ‘Cause my ego is telling me that you all want to hear more of my ramblings.

Mind you, it’s giggling when it says that. It must be watching something amusing on TV.

2 comments:

Dan Dalzell said...

OK, Tim. I'm gonna watch and see what you like about MacJournal4 and WordPress (saw it mentioned on Cope's blog too) and then see if I should try them.

I guess I'm not picky enough. I don't mind just typing into my regular old blogspot blog.

John Haffner said...

I just downloaded and paid for version 3.3. I figure I'll get 4.0 when it gets past beta (it's free with purchase of 3.x). I've been using the 2.x shareware version of MacJournal for a couple of years now.

For me, the coolest part of 3.3 is the Full Screen mode. The screen blanks out, and all you see is your text and a blinking cursor. (Can you say Doogie Hauser, M.D.?)

I really like it! Makes for a distraction-free composing environment. Removes all the visual "noise" of toolbars and windows and buttons and menu bars. It helps avoid the temptation to "tweak" the formatting/margins/font/put-your-distraction-here. Forces me to focus on the text -- novel idea, eh?